It’s a new school year, so why not a new you? Or at least a new digital version of you to use on mousesquad.org - your avatar! Your avatar is that little picture that shows up on your profile page and it represents you. When a fellow MOUSE Squad student views your profile, they'll see your amazing new avatar.
Registration is closed for Maker Faire. If you have questions or updates to your registration contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome back New York City MOUSE Squads! Now that the weather is cooling down, we're gearing up to make this the best year of MOUSE Squad ever. There's no better way to start it than the UnPlugged Kickoff Event at Maker Faire!
There are over 650 exhibits at Maker Faire this year. In the past we have seen everything from 3-D printers to rocket ponies to a life-sized version of the game Mousetrap (a giant Rube Goldberg Machine!), a fire-breathing dinosaur and more!
Maker Faire is a showcase for all things D.I.Y. ("Do It Yourself"), from solar powered cars to code to robots to arts and crafts and so much more! MOUSE is proud to say that for the second year MOUSE Corps students will be showing their Legacy Projects in the Young Makers Tent. Come support other MOUSE youth on this incredible day.
Registration is closed for this year's Maker Faire. We hope you can join us for the next UnPlugged event!
- SIGN UP: Registration is now closed. If you already registered and need to change your registration, please contact email@example.com.
- BE READY: MOUSE Squad Coordinators, you must collect signed permission forms from all students who will be coming with you. If you're a student attending alone or with a parent/guardian, fill out this form and bring it with you to Maker Faire.
- WHERE: Maker Faire is at the New York Hall of Science--click here for directions.
- WHEN: MOUSE Squads will meet at the main entrance at 9:30am, and activities will go until 1:30pm. (Maker Faire runs until 7pm, so feel free to stay later!)
- WHAT ELSE? MOUSE will provide lunch and roundtrip Metrocards for all MOUSE Squad Coordinators and MOUSE Squad Members who attend!
What is Maker Faire, and why should you come?
MAKE is a quarterly, project-based magazine, it's also a physical event series called "Maker Faire" a very popular website, a book series, a Maker SHED, a television show - but most of all, it's a community of Makers who share their projects and skills. MAKE is what-you-MAKE-it. It's a growing DIY movement of people who look at things a little differently and who just might spark the next generation of scientists, engineers and makers.
- Get ideas for the MOUSE Squad DIY Competition!
- Kick off your MOUSE Squad year by plugging into the greater MOUSE Squad community!
- Participate in fun teambuilding activities!
- Teachers, network with other MOUSE Squad Coordinators and share best practices!
- Hear about great updates to MOUSE Squad's 2013-2014 programming!
To attend Maker Faire, your school must re-register for MOUSE Squad!
To re-register, you must:
- Confirm with Naomi that your school is re-registering for the 2013-14 school year, and share any updates to your school's contact information.
- Submit a purchase order for the $999 membership fee--you can pay this over FAMIS using your school's NYSSL budget. Payment details are available here, and you must contact Naomi for an invoice for your school.
Please contact Naomi (firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-920-3662) if you have any questions or need additional details to re-register.
Ever wanted to try time travel? Looking for something to do outside this weekend? You'll get your chance to do both on Saturday at Come Out & Play Family Day!
Come Out & Play Family Day is a mini-festival of games for the whole family, organized by ESI Design, one of the world’s foremost design firms. All of the games will connect together in a single fun storyline about Time Travel — complete with an official Time Travel Agency, games throughout time, chronological paradoxes, and imminent threats to the space-time continuum!
You’ll be able to play just one or two games as you like, or all of them for an epic Time Travel adventure.
Just imagine what it would be like to travel back to the Dark Ages or ahead to the distant future, when robots rule the world. Anything is possible at the Time Travel Agency, even playing a game with your own great, great, great, great grandparent!
WHAT: Play games! Travel through time!
WHEN: Saturday, July 13, 2013
WHERE: Governor's Island, Parade Grounds
TIME: 11AM to 4PM
Games are suitable for everyone, especially ages 6-11. Guardians must co-sign waivers for any player under 18 years of age.